The Normandie Law Firm is dedicated to providing the highest level of legal representation for victims of auto accidents. We are headquartered in California and take cases from across the entire State, including Oxnard and Ventura. If you are looking for the best car accident attorney in Oxnard and Ventura, you have found the right law firm.
Choosing the right attorney can be the most important step you take with respect to your personal injury claim. Below you will find important information regarding auto accidents and recovery for your injuries. If you have any further questions after reading this article, feel free to contact our law offices. All consultations are provided free of charge.
Injuries from Auto Accidents: Car accidents can result in numerous injuries. Based on the data we have collected from our previous cases we have compiled a detailed list of injuries which can result from auto accidents.
- Back and neck pain: Spinal cord injuries are by far the most common category of injuries to befall victims of auto accidents. In order to properly diagnose a spinal injury your treating doctor will order X-rays and later MRI’s. Imaging results can determine the specific type of spinal cord injuries you have suffered and the practicing doctor will be able to determine the proper course of medical treatment. Common medical treatments for back and neck injuries can include physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture treatments, epidural injections, rhizhotomy, disc replacement surgery, and spinal fusion surgery.
- Shoulder Injuries: Common shoulder injuries include rotator cuff tear, nerve impingement, shoulder dislocation and joint injuries.
- Knee Injuries: Including sprain and strains, fractures, kneecap dislocations, meniscus tears, MCL and ACL tears.
- Foot and ankle injuries: Including bone fractures, sprains, nerve damage, torn ligaments including achilles heel tear and CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome).
- Hand and Wrist Injuries: In many cases victims of auto accidents hold on to the steering wheel during the impact resulting in severe damage to the hands and wrists.
- Dental damage and TMJ (Jaw Injuries): Including broken teeth and damage to the jaw.
- Brain Injuries – Including Concussions and Traumatic Brain Injury: Common symptoms of brain injury include short term memory loss, sensitivity to light, changes in behavior, and depreciation of cognitive abilities. Another key sign of brain injury may include loss of consciousness following a traumatic event.
- Broken bones: Including broken Femur and cracked Ribs.
- Damage to the Internal Organs: Including bowl obstruction, testicular damage, punctured lungs, and liver damage. Unfortunately many suffer heart attacks following a traumatic event.
- Mental Anguish – Psychological Damage: One of the most overlooked injuries is the psychological damage resulting from an auto accident. Many will suffer from post traumatic event depression, PTSD, and anxiety. Victims should always be open about their injuries including the mental anguish and inform their attorneys.
Our Law Firm Provides Legal Representation for the Following Categories of Auto Accidents:
- Auto v. Auto Rear End Accidents:
- T-Bone Accidents:
- Side Swipes and Illegal Lange Changes:
- Uber and Lyft Accidents:
- Accident Involving Drunk Drivers:
- Hit and Run Auto Accidents:
- Injured Passenger Claims:
- Common Carrier Accidents – Bus and Taxi Cabs:
- Defective Roadway Accidents:
- Hazardous and Defective Vehicles and Airbag Defect Claims:
- Three Vehicle and Multi-Vehicle Collisions
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
What Should I Do Immediately Following a Car Accident: Victims of auto accidents need to protect their right to compensation by following certain important steps:
- If injured you should seek medical attention immediately: If possible contact the local paramedics and have them transport you to the nearest emergency room. If that is not possible then have a friend or family member take you to an ER or urgent care center. Make sure you describe all of your injuries so that it can be properly documented in your file. Due to raised adrenaline levels many victims will not experience the full extent of the pain associated with their injuries until 24 to 48 hours after the accident. If pain develops 2 or even 3 days after an accident seek medical attention immediately, either by seeing your primary care doctors or an evaluation at an urgent care center.
- Contact the Police department and have them investigate the accident and write down a traffic collision report.
- Gather Evidence: If possible ask for the information of the other driver. This includes the individual DMV drivers’ license, insurance information, phone number, and registration of his vehicle. Also if there are witnesses take down their contact information as well.
- DO NOT Speak with the adjuster regarding your injuries: The goal of every insurance adjuster is to find a way to deny or reduce the potential settlement value of your claim. Do not speak with them regarding your injuries. Every comment you make on a recorded line can and will be used against you in the court of law.
- Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney: A personal injury lawyer with experience in the field of auto accidents can provide you with the advice you need and guide your case so that you can receive the maximum payoff for the damages you have suffered.
Steps in a Personal Injury Case: There are several steps to a personal injury case once we have commenced representation on behalf of your claim. Though not all cases are the same there are some basic steps that are universal to most cases.
- Medical Treatment: We get you set up with doctors and treatment based upon the injuries you have suffered. For example if you are suffering from neck pain we may initially set you up with physical therapy and schedule you in for a pain management doctor. The pain management doctor will evaluate your MRI results and determine the most optimum course of action. If your back and neck pain persist following conservative treatment we will schedule you in for a spinal cord – orthopedist specialist for a second opinion. All medical doctors and treatment provided will be placed on a medical lien. This means that you will not have to pay a single penny until there is a successful settlement of your claim.
- Establishing Liability: If fault for the accident is questionable or if the insurance company denies the liability of their insured then we will employ our investigators to speak with any witnesses, conduct a detailed analysis of the accident location and hire accident reconstruction experts in order to determine liability in your favor.
- Prepare the file for demand and write the demand: Once we have compile all relevant documents pertaining to your case, including medical records and costs, police reports, property damage estimates, witness testimonies, we will write a detailed letter where we demand a certain amount of money on behalf of our client. We will then send over the demand along with all relevant documents to the insurance company and ask them to respond back to us within a certain time period.
- Negotiating with insurance: At that point the insurance company of the at fault party will respond back to our demand with a response. If we do not accept the offer we may attempt to negotiate with them regarding increasing the offer. If we do not accept their proposal we will move to filing a formal lawsuit.
Going to Court to Win Your Case – Negligence Based Cause of Action: Once a lawsuit if filed we will embark on proving your case. The vast majority of auto accident cases are based on a negligence base cause of action. There are four essential elements required in order to prove a case for negligence.
- Duty: Did the defendant owe a duty to the injured plaintiff. Generally every individual owes a duty to act in a reasonable manner towards others on the road to prevent harm.
- Was there a breach of the duty of care: There can be many different actions which can establish a breach of a driver’s duty of care. This can include, inattentive driving, driving while on the phone or texting, speeding, unsafe lane change, failure to stop at an intersection, making a left turn without looking at oncoming traffic and following too close to the vehicle in front of you.
- Causation: The breach of the duty of care need to have been a cause of the accident that took place.
- Damages / Injuries: There needs to have been identifiable and diagnosable injuries suffered by the plaintiff.
How Much Can I Recover for My Case – Compensation for Auto Accidents Victims: A chief concern amongst many of victims of auto accidents is the amount of recovery that is available. The potential settlement value of a case is predicated on several significant factors unique in every case. Some of the most important factors in determining the value of your case include the following.
- The specific diagnosis of the injury suffered.
- Medical and rehabilitation costs associated with the treatment of your injuries.
- Calculation of future medical care, nursing care and rehabilitation necessary for the victim.
- Loss of income and future loss of earnings resulting from permanent disability resulting from the accident.
- Level of pain and suffering caused by the incident.
- Whether punitive damages are available: In cases where the at fault party was driving under the influence, driving at an exceedingly high speed, street racing, or hit and run accidents victim are entitled to punitive damages on top of their general damages.
- The available insurance policy limits: In the state of California drivers must carry liability auto insurance policies no lower than $15,000.00 for each victim and $30,000.00 for each accident. However there are insurance policy limits which can exceed that amount including $1000,000.00 and $1,000,000.00 policies. Generally victims cannot receive recovery in excess of the policy limits of the at fault party.
Hiring an Attorney – Costs Associated with Legal Help:
Victims of auto accidents can suffer from severe financial constraints due to mounting medical bills, loss of use of their vehicle and inability to work due to their injuries. Thus many claimants choose not to hire an attorney because of the seemingly high costs of legal representation. That is why our law firm has chosen to assist victims of personal injury exclusively on a contingency fee basis.
What is a Contingency Fee: A contingency fee retainer agreement means that our clients will never have to pay out of pocket for any legal fees and costs. We will receive a percentage of the total personal injury settlement as compensation for our work. If we cannot win your case you will not owe us a single penny. Our zero fee guarantee is simple: We win, or you don’t pay.
Switching Lawyers – Free Second Opinion on Your Case: Not every attorney is capable of maximizing the value of a personal injury care. Many law firms are not able to provide their clients with the needed attention their case requires, while many other firms simply ignore a client’s needs and fail to perform the tasks needed to ensure a successful result.
You can always find new representation: The law allows individuals who are currently represented in their case to switch over to a new attorney. Changing attorneys will not result in a reduction of the percentage of the recovery you are entitled to. In fact finding a new lawyer who understands your case and provides the proper legal attention necessary should result in a higher settlement on your behalf.
Free Legal Consultation Available for Victims: Victims of auto accidents who have suffered harm are able to contact our law offices for a free no cost legal consultation with one of our attorneys. Our law firm is able to represent victims of auto accidents across Ventura County including the city of Ventura, Oxnard, Camarillo, and Thousand Oaks.