Car accidents in the city Los Angeles have become far too common. The city’s congested roads and negligent or inattentive drivers have led to countless motor vehicle accidents causing serious and debilitating injuries. Contact the Normandie Law Firm if you require legal representation for your car accident claim.
Steps To Take Following a Car Accident:
- Seek medical attention if injured.
- Contact your local law enforcement and file an accident report.
- If possible write down important information regarding the driver and vehicle of the at fault party including insurance information, license plate, make and model of the vehicle.
- Do not speak with insurance adjusters – Insurance companies will use any statements made to them to lower or extinguish your rightful claim for compensation.
- Contact a Personal Injury Law Firm and ask for a legal consultation regarding your rights. Unlike many other law firms we provide all clients with a free no cost case review.
Leading Causes of Auto Accidents on Los Angeles Roads: Some of the leading causes of traffic accident in Los Angeles include
- Negligent driving: Including speeding is the number one cause of auto accident in the United States. Exceeding the designated speed limit or making illegal lane changes without the proper use of signals substantially increases the risk of an auto collisions.
- Distracted driving: Forms of distracted driving with the greatest threat of causing accidents include text messaging, the use of a mobile device, eating, putting on makeup, and viewing previous accidents otherwise known as rubbernecking.
- Driving while under the influence of an intoxicant: According to reports published by the National Highway Transportation Administration nearly 11,000 individuals are killed in accidents caused by drunk drivers on the road.
- Defective manufacturing of automobiles: Auto defects including airbags, brakes and tires result in thousands of car accidents each year. Victims of injuries caused by defective auto parts are entitled to file a product liability lawsuits against auto manufacturers.
- Poor climactic conditions including slick and slippery roads during rain storms
- Defective and poorly maintained roads including potholes
Common Injuries Resulting from Car Accident: Some of the most common serious injuries resulting from auto accidents are as follows:
Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
The interests of insurance companies is to lower their financial exposure to any claims filed by victims of accidents. Negotiating alone with insurance agents places you at a strategic disadvantage. Legal representation greatly enhances a plaintiffs capabilities in achieving the maximum monetary compensation owed by insurance companies. We advise any individual who has been injured in a car accident to speak first with a qualified car accident attorney before any negotiations or statements with insurance companies take place.
Proving Your Case in the Court of Laws: Personal injury lawsuits are usually litigated based on a negligence cause of action. Cases based on negligence require the proving of several elements
1. The defendant has a duty to the injured party: All drivers owe other motorists a duty to drive their vehicle in a safe and reasonable manner.
2. The defendant breached the duty of reasonable care owed to the injured party: Breach to a drivers duty in established through any wrongful or negligence act including speeding, failure to use a turn signal, driving on the wrong side of the road.
3. The breach of the duty was the cause of the accident
4. The accident resulted in significant injury to the plaintiffs
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Car Accident Case in the State Of California:
A statute of limitations is a time limitation placed on a victims right to file his or her claim in the court of law. Failure to file a claim within the statutorily allotted time period can eliminate a plaintiffs right to financial recovery. The time period for filing a lawsuit for personal injury in the state of California is two years from the date of the accident.
· What if My Time Period has Run Out: In certain circumstances courts will allow for a temporary halting or tolling of the statute of limitations. Some of the most common instances where courts have allowed for a tolling of a statute include, minor statute of the victim (under the age of 18), mental incapacitation and physical incapacitation of the victim.
Compensation available for victims of car accidents: Individuals injured in car accidents are entitled to compensation for all damages suffered as a result of the collision. The level of compensation available is based on several factors including:
- Compensation for all medical costs and prescription drug cost
- All future medical and rehabilitations needs including corrective and revision surgeries when required
- Pain and suffering compensation including mental trauma, post traumatic stress, and depression resulting from the accident
- Los wages due to inability to work and loss of future income due to long term continued disability
- Punitive damages – Awarded when the driver of the vehicle displays an intent to cause harm or a reckless disregard for the life of health of other motorists on the road.
Fatalities Caused by Auto Accidents: In the state of California certain relatives of the deceased hold the right to file a wrongful death cause of action against the at fault driver. Form more on wrongful death lawsuits see here…
Cost of Legal Representation: Our personal injury law firm represents victims of personal injury on a contingency fee basis meaning you don’t pay any out of pocket expenses unless and until we have successfully litigated your case.
Free Attorney Consultation: Our attorneys are available 24/7 to answer any legal questions you may have regarding the filing of a personal injury claim. All legal consultations are provided free of charge and are completely confidential. Contact us toll free – (800)790-5422.