Steps to Take After a Car Accident to Ensure Your Legal Rights
Auto accidents are the number one cause of preventable injuries in the United States. Individuals who contact our law firm often ask our attorneys of the steps they need to take following a car accident in order to ensure their legal rights. This page has been written by Mr. Daniel Azizi the founder of our law firm and an expert in the field of auto accident injury law in Los Angeles.
Attorney Consultation: If you have been involved in an auto accident and have sustained injuries feel free to contact our law offices.
1. Tend to your injuries: The most significant step that should be taken as soon as possible is to seek medical help for your injuries. The ultimate value of your case is primarily based on the injuries you have suffered. Seeking medical attention immediately following a car accident will serve as evidence that you sustained your injuries due to the incident that took place.
2. Do Not Make Statements: It is vital that you do not speak with the other party regarding the causes of the accident which took place. Any casual remarks and statements can be used against in any legal proceedings regarding your case.
2. Contact Police: Call 911 or your local police department. Have them come to the location of the accident. Ask them toll write a police report regarding the accident that took place. Take the police report number provided and well as teh name badge number and phone number of the officer. A police report which places the other party at fault can serve and an important strategic asset in any future negotiations with the at fault party and their insurance carriers.
3. Gather Information: If possible ask for all necessary information from the other parties involved in the accident. Specific information which should be obtained include; The driver of the vehicle DMV license and license plate, make and model of the vehicle, insurance information of the other driver including the name of the insurance company and the policy number.
4. Take Pictures: Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle. If possible take pictures of the surrounding environment where the accident took place including traffic lights, skid marks on the pavement.
5. Speak With an Attorney NOT with the Insurance Company: The main objective of an insurance company and adjusters that work for them is to reduce any financial exposure they may have to an accident claim. As a result insurance companies will attempt to get you to make statements which can and will be used against you to reduce any compensation you may be entitled too.
Speak With An Attorney First: A personal injury attorney who specializes in auto accidents claims is able a apprise a victim of all the necessary steps one needs to take in order to achieve full and just compensation for any harms suffered.