Every year thousands of minors suffer severe injuries during field trips organized and or sponsored by their schools. In many instances accidents and injuries could have been prevented for it not for the negligent and or reckless conducts of school employees, administrators or other individual charged with the health and safety of students. In those cases victims would be eligible for recovery for all damages suffered. Our law firm has a proud heritage of helping individuals who have suffered egregious harm due to the wrongful conducts of others. If your child has suffered injuries while on a school trip or a field day trip don’t hesitate to contact our law offices. All legal consultations regarding your matter are free of charge.
Common Injuries and Accidents on Field Trips
- Slip and Fall Accidents – trip and fall accidents.
- Falls from high places.
- Acts of violence – including assault and battery and sexual assault.
- Falling objects resulting in head injuries.
- Bus accidents and other motor vehicle accidents.
- Boating accidents.
- Defective products and equipment resulting in harm.
- Burn injuries.
- Hiking and skiing accidents.
- Attacks by wild or domesticated animals.
A school district has several duties owed to their students. This includes, the duty to warn and inform, failure to provide for proper instructions or proper supervision before conducting a potentially dangerous act, failure to provide for proper safety equipment, failure to provide for proper medical care after an injury or accident has take place, and failure to provide for a safe facility. Establishing liability in a negligence based lawsuit requires the proving of four essential elements.
1. Did the school district owe a duty of care to the student.
2. Did the school breach the duty of care owed to the student.
3. Did the breach of the duty of care cause the accident.
4. Did the accident result in harm.
3rd Party Liability: In many instances individuals and entities other than the school district can be held liable for injuries suffered by students. In such cases victims have the right to pursue a claim for recovery against third parties.
Liability for Failure to Notify Parents of Guardians: School districts owe a duty to parents and guardians of students to notify of severe injuries that take place in school or on school field trips. Liability can be established if the failure to notify resulted in the furtherance of the injuries suffered.
Compensation Available for Victims
Individuals who have suffered harm due to the negligent or intentional actions of others are eligible for full and just compensation. Specific categories of compensation include the following…
- All medical and health related expenses.
- All future medical and rehabilitation care.
- Loss of income and loss of income capacity due to long term or permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering – emotional distress and mental anguish resulting from the injury suffered.
- Recovery for any property damage or destruction of property.
- Punitive damages – punitive damages are awarded when the at fault party acted with the intent to cause harm or acted in reckless endangerment of others.
Attorney Consultation Available: If you have any further questions regarding the filing of a claim for injuries suffered by a student on a school trip feel free to contact our law offices. All legal consultations are free of charge.